7.01.2014

Sweet 'n Sour Chicken (in a slow-cooker!)


 

Friends! It's been a while since I've posted something delicious. And we all know that food is the most important thing in life...so here I am.

I'm obsessed with Asian food. I think it all stemmed from my time teaching English in Southern China a few years back...because I had some awesome Chinese food there. (I also had some not-so-awesome food there... such as chicken feet and shark fin... but let's not talk about that. Mmmkay?)

One of my very faves is sweet 'n sour chicken, but it takes FOREVER to make. Breading the chicken, frying it, baking it... ain't nobody got time fo' dat. Especially busy moms! Plus, sometimes it's nice to skip the frying and opt for something a bit healthier! (hellooooo swimsuit season. Yikes.)

I came up with this 'healthier' (not-fried), but more importantly--QUICKER-- version of my favorite sweet 'n sour chicken recipe, and you guys. IT WAS THE BOMB. Jordan raved about it. I demolished it. Boston ate every morsel on his plate. And Camden threw it all at the wall (but what else it new?). But seriously, it was AMAZING.

You should probably make this tomorrow. Or today. Or both. (See recipe below!)
 

Slow-cooker Sweet 'n Sour Chicken
(adapted from this recipe!)

4 large frozen chicken breasts
2/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Place frozen chicken breasts in bottom of a crock pot. Mix all other ingredients well, and pour over chicken. (If you like your chicken SAUCY... double the sauce recipe! I usually do.) Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. (The longer and lower you cook it for, the more tender it will be!) When chicken is finished cooking, shred with two forks and let sit in the sauce for 10-15 minutes.

We love this stuff over white rice, with a big pile of green beans & slivered almonds on the side!

YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment