9.06.2015

On loving my boys. (+ a belated Mother's Day video!)

“How long has it been since you took your children, whatever their size, in your arms and told them that you love them and are glad that they can be yours forever?” Spencer W. Kimball

***

I feel so lucky to be a mother. To be able to love and nurture my children, to kiss their skinned knees, make them cheesy scrambled eggs, play play dough with them, and tuck them into bed after prayers. I feel so lucky to be the one they run to, and to be the one they need.
So then why, why don't I always act this way??

When the days get long, and the tasks seem tedious, I find myself getting more and more negative about my role as a mom. I slip into “go watch Rescue Bots on Netflix” mode, just so I can get laundry folded or feed the baby in peace. I find myself thinking about all of the exotic places that I haven’t been, or all of the things that seem impossible to do with three small kiddos, four and under. Suddenly I’m in a vicious cycle of frustration and negativity… and you know what? It’s not fair. 

It’s not fair to my precious boys who love me, and lean on me no matter what. It’s not fair to their tiny hands that need to be held, their big eyes that need to be seen, their sweaty foreheads that need to be kissed, or their tired bodies that need to be held. Sure, they are loud and crazy and sometimes downright naughty, but they need me. ME. They need their mom. To love and cuddle them, to nurture them—to protect them from this crazy world. 

And so I am going to be there for them, always. Trying to be the mom they deserve, because they really are the best gift I have ever been given. And I love them about a zillion times more than they could ever know. 

***
P.S. The boys were such good sports when I took these photos in our back yard on a particularly hot Kentucky afternoon. There may or may not have been otter-pop-bribery involved in the process. Because hey! When Target has matching shirts on sale, how could I NOT do a mini photo shoot? 

haha. 

I love these boys!!

I am biased, but I think they are kind of the cutest boys on the earth.

P.P.S. Here's a video that Jordan made for me on Mother's Day this year (... four months ago. Whoops! haha), and I thought I would post it now! Better late than never?

I love it. And I love them.

(for last year's video, click here!)

3 comments:

  1. I just died! That video. It slayed me. I love how they're totally boys through and through; from wearing helmets to picking boogies. I just love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just died! That video. It slayed me. I love how they're totally boys through and through; from wearing helmets to picking boogies. I just love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ithe Ithe Baby, do do do dododo" Hahaha. "Mom sings that to me". This is hilarious! I seriously love that you have these! You have some SUPER handsome boys! And even better is they seem very kind to each other and like they know you love them and they love you! What's better than that?!

    ReplyDelete